Was / Were + -ing Verb
(-ing Verb = Present Participle)
An action that was happening when another action began either interrupting or overlapping the first action.
- I was driving when the car broke down.
- The boy was running when he tripped.
- The family was eating when the neighbor knocked on their door.
Emphasize Duration of the Action
To emphasize the length of an event or action in the past.
- I was working all morning.
- It was raining for hours.
- He was dancing all night.
Background Information in a Story
When telling a story with past actions, we use Present Progressive to give background information.
- The wind was blowing and the rain was hitting the window. The girl sat inside and wished she could play outside.